I am now officially bilingual... in screaming! lol This morning i had to wake up early to go to a meeting in the capital city of Managua. It is a long bus ride and we had to be there by 8 so i was up before 5. My alarm went off and i laid in bed for a minute listening to the gang of roosters around my house screaming! I decided i should probably get moving before i fell back asleep, so i got up and turned on my light. I stood there letting my eyes adjust to the light and dealing with my pounding head. I slowly shuffled around my room and grabbed my clothes, moved my computer to the top of my suitcase and organized some things. I heard something that sounded like it fell onto my backpack, but i dismissed it thinking the contents shifted as i had just put something in it. I looked, didnt see anything and continued about my business. A minute later i moved my backpack to get into my suitcase and godzilla came running at me full charge. I tried not to scream bloody murder considering it was 4:45am! I lept onto my bed and tried not to flip out. There running toward my door was a taratula (a HUGE phobia of mine) about the size of a small orange! I let it out the door and sat and panicked on my bed for a few mins. I didnt want to wake my host mom up, again because it was 4:45am! So i crept around the house like i was in the movie Arachniphobia waiting for this massive creature to pounce and sink its nasty fangs into me! hahaha.
I left the house to meet with my group for our bus trip. I told one of the other volunteers moms because i was still panicking on the way there. She said she would call my host mom and let her know because they will need to find it and kill it. UGH! Grosssss!
Off we went on our trip to Managua! It was about an hour bus ride or so. Possibly a bit more. The buses are CROWDED! Most people are crammed in the middle aisle and they just keep cramming people. We had a meeting from about 8-3:30 and back to the bus terminal to catch the bus back to our towns. It was a VERY long day!
So i got home in time for dinner and my host mom starts laughing and says, "What happened this morning?" I laughed and explained the gargantuous creature that came running at me. She laughed and told me i need to kill them. I said absolutely not. I dont even kill cockroaches in FL because i hate the crunch, let alone something that will leave behind a complete body. Out of the question. She asked me what i would do if i saw one in my house when i get my own place. I said i would scream haha. She asked what i would do if i saw a snake in my house. I said scream lol. I would find some random kid to come catch and or kill it! She laughed and said that she found the spider this morning and killed it. Thankfully because i am still sitting in my room looking around as if its friends are going to start pole vaulting onto my bed! UGH! I was talking to my mom on skype telling her my story and about my blog and as i am talking to her a tick starts casually walking across my notebook as if i invited it over. Mind you i am on my bed. We are now successfully facing all my fears. Earthquake. Check. Taratulas. Check. Ticks. Check. Next we are going to have a major category 5 tornado and a tsunami where i drown, and i will find a huge snake in my room. Then we will successfully complete my list of irrational fears! Whoo hooo!
On a side note: We were given Cell phones today! Wahoooo! All the volunteers are on a family plan so we can talk and text for free. It is free for me to accept calls although i know it is not free for you. The only calls i need to pay for are the ones i make to the states. I will post my phone number on the side panel of my blog for easier access along with the dialing code you need and the country code. Its quite the number!
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WAY WOULD I SURVIVE DOWN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate little spiders!
ReplyDeleteha ha ha ha I can't stop laughing..but OMG!!! Good for you for NOT freaking out because I certainly would have!!!! kill them? hell no, that's just nasty!!! but then again I cartainy would not want him in my house. Do they have HUGE SPIDER traps that we could send you. I had one in my room in Honduras, i thought it was a rolled up black sock on the chair until it jumped off...ahhhhhhhhhhh okay and don't get me started on ticks!
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOD!!!!! I don't even know what I would do but I don't think I'll sleep tonight! haha
ReplyDeleteThe cops captured a 15 ft over 200 lb python about 10 miles from your mothers house recently.
ReplyDeleteSo...feel better! ha ha ha
I am so proud of you. You will be able to go into lion taming when you come home.
I'll go to Ace Hardware today and see if they carry Tarantula Smackers and send you one.
Love you brave girl
Kim you're a braver person than I am! I WOULD have screamed bloody murder if that tarantua was loose in my room!!!! I'm like you. I hate to kill bugs cause of the noise and the guts squishing out. I'd rather put a daddy-long-legs on a piece of paper and carry him outside than kill him. Tarantulas? I'm going online to look for Bug-Away spray! love-u
ReplyDeleteOkay but how do you kill them? You wouldn't step on them with flip flops! Nick says to get a bb gun. haha
ReplyDeleteI hear Tarantulas make great pets... If you see another one name him Fred for old time sake.
ReplyDelete