Well I figured since I am 3 weeks away from my departure, I should try this whole blogging thing. I figured a good way to start would be to give everyone some information on what I will be doing when I get there and some more info on mail and phone calls etc.
First things first. My job title is a Health Promoter focusing on reproductive health and HIV education. My "primary focus is the formation and training of youth programs to promote healthy sexual practices, providing creative non-formal health communication, strengthening the capacities of local health institutions, and generally promoting good health with the community. My role in this capacity:
1.) Direct education to community members (adolescent groups, men groups and school children) about preventative health practices.
2.) Facilitate and organize health groups to facilitate my role in the training of health promoters (for example, health advisory committees, community health assessment teams, and adolescent groups)
3.) Training of youth, volunteer community health promoters, in non-formal education techniques directed towards the reduction of unwanted pregnancies and healthy sexual practices."
When I reach my permanent site, where i will remain for the 2 years, I will conduct a health assessment survey within the community. This will allow me to get an idea of what the community feels the biggest issues are, their priorities and their general attitudes. This survey will help me outline my project for the remainder of my time there.
Typically volunteers in my general assignment will primarily be assigned to small and mid-sized towns and departmental capitals that have limited infrastructure. The sites are typically between 3-8 hours away from the capital.
Now that i have explained my job title, lets go over some information for the family as well as information about what is going to happen between now and being sworn in as a volunteer (the time before i go to my permanent site).
Written mail: The mail service in Nicaragua is not as efficient as the U.S., it can sometimes take up to 4-6 weeks to make it back to the states. They recommend that the first few letters sent be tracked to see just about how long it takes to get to the states. They also recommend numbering the letters to see if one is missed. Also keep in mind that written correspondence sometimes wanes as service progresses. Although i will try to blog as often as possible, and i will keep a journal as well.
Telephone calls: The telephone service in Nicaragua is relatively good and service in and out of Nicaragua to the states is mostly reliable and fairly inexpensive. During training I may have scarce access to email but some host training families may have phones in their home or in a nearby location. I will let you know what the phone number may be. During my service, access to email should be available but not necessarily all the time. I will also let you know what my phone number will be once I am in my permanent site. I can also get a cell phone, i will touch on that in a moment.
Sending packages: Sending packages can be frustrating due to high incidence of theft and heavy custom taxes. You can try to send inexpensive items through the mail but there is no guarantee that they will arrive. You can use this address to send letters and/or packages until I am done with training:
PCT- Kimberly Norton
Cuerpo de Paz - Nicaragua
Apartado Postal #3256
Managua, Nicaragua, Centro America
It is recommended that packages be send in padded envelopes if possible, boxes tend to be taxed and opened more frequently.
I will be flying from Tampa to D.C. on January 11th for my staging event. I will join about 45 other Peace Corps Trainees (PCTs) who will be going to Nicaragua. There I will be able to get to know my fellow trainees and become familiar with Peace Corps values and expectations. I will also receive my plane tickets and passport for my flight the next morning.
I will depart super early the next morning to fly to Miami (redundant to me), then off to Managua, the capital of Nicaragua. Upon arrival I will spend an additional few days in Grenada (where Katie and Liz found a really nice hotel to come visit at!!) at an arrival retreat. In Nicaragua I will participate in 11 weeks of intensive training consisting of language, cross culture, technical and health. Safety and security issues will be integrated throughout. Upon successful completion of pre-service training I will be sworn in as a volunteer. During these 3 months I am not allowed to take any vacations or have any visitors. (as well as the first 3 months at my permanent site and the last 3 months).
During the 3 day retreat in Grenada I will be staying at a hotel and will have access to free wi-fi. It is strongly recommended that I purchase locks for my luggage and keep them locked, even while living with my host family. I will also be receiving the rest of my vaccinations while I am at the retreat… yay! We all know how much i loooove shots! I will receive my first installment of what they refer to as my “walk around” allowance. This is a small amount of cash, given to me in Cordobas, to cover incidentals and personal hygiene items during the pre-service training period. The retreat is also used to gauge our language level and cover some information that will help me prepare for my training and service.
I will not be able to purchase a cell phone until I am at least halfway through my training. On Monday January 17, my 11 week pre-service will begin. The first 3-4 weeks are focused on strengthening my language skills, getting to know my host family, your training town and dealing with the challenging cultural adaptation issues.
Sample Training Schedule:
Monday-Thursday I will attend language classes. I will also carry out technical and cross-cultural tasks in my community during the week. Wednesday afternoons, Friday all day and Saturday mornings or all day my training group will come together for formal technical, cross-cultural, health and/or safety training.
Friday, April 1 will be my swearing in ceremony. I will officially be a Peace Corps Volunteer! After the ceremony we are given our permanent sites (although i believe i will know ahead of time). It is my understanding, through other PCV blogs, that i will have somewhat of a choice in where i will be for my final site.
Thats just a "brief" overview of what i will be doing here shortly, as for now, i am working on shopping, packing and trying not to have a panic attack in the meantime. I am looking forward to this next chapter in my life and all the wonderful people i will meet along the way and all the things i will see. As for now, i am preoccupied with having to say goodbye. I will miss the family and of course my wonderful boyfriend <3 i will enjoy myself but will look forward to seeing everyone soon! Especially the girls trip being planned and the trips Yoise is planning as well! Can't wait to show you guys first hand everything i will be doing!
we'll miss you Kim...be safe.
ReplyDeleteThis souds so exciting! Don't panic, you are wonderful and this will be a great time for you! love love love you!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'll get you a spider swatter, moth balls in nylons to keep the bugs away. we'll be down to visit as soon as we can.
ReplyDeleteI am SOOOO jealous! I can't wait to come visit and see the country! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteHAHA thank you mom! i'm sure they will come in handy! Hopefully i will be more in a city and won't have to worry too much about tarantulas!! Who is paperdoll??
ReplyDeletePaperdoll is my mom, and I certainly hope you can figure out who I am.....who else worked as an animal orderly in the family?!?!? Anywho, don't panic, you'll be fine. =)
ReplyDeleteApparently, my e-mail doesn't come up and I actually have a real name...who knew? LOL
ReplyDeleteI left a big long comment yesterday and it went into the ether.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I will check this site everyday immediately AFTER I check to see what LoveyBoy is doing! ha haha.
The ladies will be coming for a visit ASAP....I hope Nicaragua is ready for us!
HAHA Yes i figured out who horse orderly was rather quickly just wasn't sure who the paperdoll was.
ReplyDeleteNana... i will try to blog as often as possible, however by looking at other PCV blogs it doesnt seem that they blog all too often however i will try to keep a journal on my computer that way when i have internet i can copy paste notes and pictures. I can't have visitors until at least July so maybe next winter the girls can come! :)
Uh oh...you're in for it now Kim. The family will be expecting daily blogs. hahaha
ReplyDeleteBTW, sometimes when I comment it shows me as Kathleen and sometimes as Katiepie with my photo. They're both me. My blog does the same thing.
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you honey. It's going to be lonely and boring without my best fiend here but this will be good for you in the long run. Already can't wait for you to get back. MUAH! Love You.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas babe.
ReplyDeleteThank you baby! I am going to be really lonely without you as well! You are my best friend, my other half! I will be thinking about you all the time and I will look forward to coming home to you in the end! I already can't wait for you to come visit me! Te amo con todo mi corazon! XOXO
ReplyDeleteOkay, I tried to fixed paperdoll to be "Faith". Sorry about that. Still thinking about you and your adventure. love you! (if it doesn't work... then at least you'll still know its me... your crazy aunt!)
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy and proud of you Kimmy!! Stay strong..this is such an amazing opportunity for you!! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures!! Love you!! XOXO
ReplyDeleteWell you started your adventure today. I know everything is going to go really well for you and you will learn a lot. You are a strong girl and this will make you even stronger and braver. Ok babe.. you've been gone for too long come home already. lol. I love you Kim.
ReplyDelete