Monday, March 7, 2011

My new site will be...

Not yet!! haha Sorry for not blogging for the last week, I've have been on an emotional roller coaster! I am terribly homesick and there are times I just want to come home and get back to my life in Florida with my family and my boyfriend, back to the job that never entirely thrilled me. Maybe its the thought of having money again and the comforts of home with the man I love so dearly! But in the end I know I came here for a reason and I am glad that I did. I truly want this experience for myself and my future. I know it will make me a stronger person... this is just a hard time.
Last week we had our language interviews to assess what level in spanish we are. I tested in at intermediate low which was a total bummer because I know I am better than that, but I know its because my reading and writing level in spanish is MUCH higher (thank you spanish education in the states) but my speaking is not as strong because oddly enough I get shy and nervous when I talk and make very elementary mistakes because i talk fast (shocker i know!). I need to be at an Intermediate mid level to be sworn in as a volunteer so I hope I can boost my level in the next 3 weeks or else I may not be able to stay, although i'm sure I will. After our language level interview I went to an interview for my site selection. This was my second interview for this. We discuss things like my personal interests, job interests, climate, things I want out of my service etc. These interviews are so they can best place us in an area that we would want but also that would be productive for us.

DRUMROLL PLEASE....
My new home will be in... Morrito, Rio San Juan! Morrito is a small town and municipal head in the department of Rio San Juan. It lies on the easter coast of Lake Nicaragua. It has a population of about 7,600 in the immediate town plus 31 communities. The town is made up of about 300 houses lining a few cobblestone streets along the lakeshore! It is known for its beautiful sunsets over the island of Ometepe (its a volcanic island). The people there make their living primarily on fishing, farming, raising cattle and basic grain production (corn, rice, beans). Morrito has a long rainy season and its climate is significantly warmer and more humid than much of Nicaragua.
I will have electricity all day, but i will only have running water from 6-8am if there is an installed pipe system in the home. If not, people bring in their water from wells. The water is not potable. The volunteer that i will be taking over for stated that she has a water filter and will be leaving it for me! (thank you to her!) My packet goes over more information about travel (bus or boat), housing, projects that were started by previous volunteers and ones that i need to continue. I am an immediate follow up volunteer, which means that someone is leaving as soon as i get there. I am pretty nervous about this because i feel as if i will be in someone elses shadow. Not that i want to slack but i was hoping to have some time to get my bearings and figure out my town. I am sure i still will but i am nervous about diving head first into this town. I guess it is also good in a way because the youth groups are already set up and the schools are already knowledgable about the peace corps and it is already set up for me to go into the schools to talk.
Overall i am excited and really nervous! I am going to visit the site this weekend. We leave Friday to meet our counterparts (the people we will be working with in the town, typically someone who runs the health center etc.) and then we leave Saturday morning to go to our new sites and meet important people in the town and of course our host families. I am really sad to leave my host family here! They are awesome but I am finally ready to start this adventure!
Thank you to everyone for keeping my sanity in check (mom for snapping my back to reality at times and Yoise for being a great support to me!). I miss everyone so much! I will post pictures when i return next week. I should be back on Wednesday.  :)

4 comments:

  1. keep your head up..you will be great in the new place. Each time you make a big change it will get easier and easier for you. You can do it..we're all behind ya! Love you! XOXO
    ohh..and is the old volunteer going to leave her tarantula smacker for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA I will have to ask her this weekend! I talked to another girl who is in Rio San Juan and she said in the year she has been here she hasnt seen one yet. I did have another creepy insect in my room last week! I was online and a Cicada flew in my room, the darn thing was the size of a small bat! Thats what i thought it was when it flew in. I yelled and my host mom came in dying laughing and picked it up by its wings and brought it outside.... YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ha ha..your poor host Mom..so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad you can't bring your host mom with you! ha ha You are doing just fine and dandy there. If you get afraid or nervous, whistle. There is a song from The King and I. Ahem...
    "Whenever I feel afraid
    I hold my head erect
    And whistle a happy tune
    So no one will suspect I'm afraid..."

    No one really knows that you're nervous anyway. They will be looking up to you for guidance and friendship. Remember... you are really a wonderful, friendly person. I'm so proud of you in every thing you have done!!!! Love-U

    ReplyDelete