When i returned from the game, i washed up and got ready to have a little bit of fun. We were blowing up balloons and decorating the patio. My host mom had filled the pinata and rigged it up to the roof. Slowly but surely everyone started showing up and we started talking and having drinks and snacking on some good food. I mingled a bit talking to my cousins (people i know lol). I shared the sweethearts that mom sent me in spanish. They all loved them. Then it was time for the Pinata. They are a bit different here than in the states. In the states they are predominantly used for kids b-day parties. We stuff them to the max with candies and tell the kids to smack the crap out of it until it bursts. Here pinatas are used at most if not all parties are used for adults and it is fun. You are supposed to dance while you hit the pinata and you are not hitting it to smash it, it is more fun to let other people go as well. While you are blindfolded they are usually pulling it to the sides to make sure you look extra stupid swinging into mid air. lol. It was fun.
Later we played a game where balloons had "castigos" in them. Little punishments or dares if you will. We went one by one reading and doing our castigo. I hoped they would forget about me, no such luck. I popped my balloon and they read it aloud to the group and I protested but they weren't having it. I had to do a sensual dance for my love :( Well it wasn't bad after like 3 minutes of laughing and turning beet read I just danced for a second and i was done. It was funny tho. Wish my lovie was there to dance for. hehe. Overall the night was fun, i met some neighbors and talked to my cousins and taught my sisters a country dance to a fast spanish song. It was fun and i was proud of myself for being able to do it haha.
Today was a bummy day, which i enjoyed. I was able to sleep in and relax. Then i lounged around and got some homework done. I have to do a survey in town and talk to people about condom use. I get really nervous to just aproach people and start talking about condoms, especially because its in spanish and i just sound nervous in general. It worked out in my favor. I was walking down the street and i saw a neighbor from the party who i didnt get a chance to talk to much last night. I told her what i was doing and she invited me in. I talked to her and her daughter for almost an hour. We did my survey and continued to talk about health, the Peace Corps, Nicaragua, food, culture, the states, florida, yoise, family and my future here in Nicaragua and school back in the states. For not speaking much spanish all day i did pretty well! It feels good everytime i talk to someone new and can carry a conversation but i am always anxious to start. The woman was really nice, she reassured me that i speak good spanish and that the nervousness will fade and i will learn quickly. That was nice to hear.
well i posted a lot of pics on facebook but here are some from the party last night:
This is Valentina (Logans future wife. It was already decided for them hehe)
Me, my host mom and their older volunteer
Dancing with the Pinata
Dancing for Yoise (haha you should have seen it babe you would have died laughing at me)
P.S. In the last pictures that is my uncle. He is a dentist for MINSA (the ministry of health) his wife is at my house everyday for lunch. She is a nurse at the health center in my town. Pretty awesome people to talk to when you are in the health sector in Peace Corps.
ReplyDeleteExcellent! You're blending in beautifully. Proud of you so much! love-u
ReplyDeleteI LOVE IT!!!! hahaha. I think we should start having dancing pinata parties at my house!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Wii pinata parties! how fun. Id rather smack it and eat the candy
ReplyDelete