I am currently sitting in my room in complete and utter darkness. In fact I don’t want to leave my room because it is pitch black. All I can see is the occasional bug or mosquito fly past my computer screen. This is enough to convince you that you are getting dengue! Hahaha JUST KIDDING. But I am sitting on my bed under my mosquito net and they are still flying around me. UGH! Anyway, I was talking to my sister but the electricity went out and with that obviously went my internet. If this were to happen in the states, I don’t know that people would know what to do with themselves. If the power went out for any reason other than a bad thunderstorm it would be odd. This is apparently entirely normal because when the power went out people yelled and the band just played louder. (there is a band up the street playing but I am not entirely sure why.) So When is better than now to sit and write a blog. (not that I can post it right now… but it will be done). I would break out my snazzy head lamp however it is in my suitcase on my floor and the thought of rummaging around in my bag in complete darkness gives me the heebie jeebies, knowing that a few weeks ago a tarantula was spending time over there lol. Moving on…
The past few days have been a bit rough for me… Just a lot of things going on and a million thoughts running through my head. The other day was hard for me and I was lacking support that I really needed at the time, which just made my day harder. There are days (or times in the day) that I am really happy to be here and I feel confident in what I am doing and in the language I am learning. Then there are times where I just miss home soooo much and just want my normal routine back. I just miss being in my apt. with my stuff with my food and my boyfriend and the job that always drove me crazy. I know things will get better once I get to my site and my language improves and i feel better knowing what people are saying. Once i get in the swing of my job and doing what I came here to do. Until then it is a bit hard. I am already a little sad to have to leave my host family here in Niquinohomo because they are great. My host mom has really helped me a lot (mom she reminds me of you at times, she yelled at me for slouching the other night haha).
The next morning (yesterday) at 8am I had to give my first charla at the health center on the importance of hand washing. My brain does not work in any language at 8am! I was a little nervous, but started off well, introducing myself and why i am here and what the Peace Corps is. Then i got a little flustered and stuttered over my words a little bit. UGH! lol When i get nervous i talk fast... surprise i am sure. So i started talking fast in spanish. Overall it went okay, it was my first charla, i cant beat myself up for it. I just need to slow down and relax. Everything will come in time i know. That afternoon was also our first charla with our youth group. It was called modelo del puente. We were discussing the importance of building ways to overcome risks in life (self esteem, having a good role model, communication etc.) in order to live a healthy and positive life. Overall it went well. We have youth group 3 times a week so its gets semi exhausting.
Well the power came back on, followed by yells and the band playing louder again with bottle rockets (mini bombs) and the dog barking and trying to chase the bottle rockets lol. (Katie i am looking forward to those ear plugs haha although i dont know that i will hear my alarm clock :/ ).
Also, i know i posted this a bit on Facebook but i am not sure who saw it. At the end of my time here in my training site (only a few more weeks) our youth group is to make a final project to show what they learned from our charlas. After the final project we wanted to have a small party for them. We thought it would be cool to have candy from the states for them. What kid doesnt love candy?! They have candy here but nothing like the states. Although i spent 18 cordobas (not even a dollar) on a twix haha. Its funny because its been a lil while since i have had something sweet and i found it a little hard to finish it. (coming from me thats crazy!) If you are interested in sending some donations on candy we would love it. We have anywhere from 10-12 kids in our youth group depending on the meeting. They are 12-18 years old. Some ideas that I had for candy include: Swedish fish, air heads, fun dip, gummi bears or gummi worms, sour patch kids, Jelly bellys (more so for me :) if you can find them separately i love the toasted marshmellow ones haha), twizzlers, skittles etc. basically anything that is fun and not chocolate. We should be having the event mid march. Thank you in advance to anyone who wants to send something. My address is on the right side of my blog.
Well i am off to bed. I have another meeting in the morning and youth group after that to play soccer. UGH! Not my fav thing to do but hey, its for the kids right? lol. Sorry no new pictures i will try to find something interesting enough to photograph. Next saturday we are going to a volcano! wahooo so i will def have pictures then! Love you guys! :)
Dearest KimberlyBimberly,
ReplyDeleteI have an idea. When you are having a "charla"...does that mean class?..start off by asking for help. Bring them in by asking them to help you. You have important things to share with them and they have language to share with you. Ask for patience and give yourself a break. Remember that if you were sitting in a group and a pretty and interesting instructor was up there tying to help you out, you would give her at least 90% for even trying and would enjoy helping her with her English and maybe laughing with her over her mistakes but all the time feeling important because she brought you into the process.
I love you little girl.
Thank you for sharing with us all your thoughts and feelings. Im sure its very hard to be away from all of the things that bring you comfort, but sometimes, having to be outside your comfort zone makes you a stronger person and you see issues in a different light. Things that used to be so important to you, seem trivial now, and the stuff you took for granted, is now at the front of the line. You will do a fantastic job, i know the young girls will remember you all their lives. we all love you. you are an exceptional leader! love Mom ola!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to see that you are doing good in school. I wish I could help you with your homework. But you know that if you need anything you can ask me and I'll be glad to help you. As for the power going out.. I'm very familiar with that feeling. Things sometimes become more fun when that happens. Actually it's a good thing because you probably will never take it for granted anymore and even if it does happen when you are here you'll probably make the most fun out of it. Well now you know that there ARE a lot of things that we take for granted every day. This is going to be a great experience for you. As much as it sucks for me I'm glad you went and are doing something to better yourself and the lives of others. I'm happy for you Kim I know that things will work out for you and in the end you'll be a better and happier person. You're going to have everything that you really want and like. All the things that are what you REALLY want will fall into your lap. You're gonna be just fine. Love you mama.
ReplyDeleteNo hay amor perdido entre nosotros. Entre lo que existe y lo que no existe
el espacio es el amor. Te amo mi vida.
Yoise is cheating. we cant read spanish. Im going to have to google it
ReplyDeleteYou are doinf great Kim, don't doubt yourself, I'm sure ALL of those girls are just loving every minute with you! and I do know who you feel about missing your comforts of your american life, I too missed it when I was in Italy, but you WILL have it again, so enjoy what you have now because I guarantee you will always look back at this time in your life and think it was the best thing you ever did! My favorite saying..you have to get UNCOMFORTABLE to be comfortable again :)
ReplyDelete