This is my blog of my journey throughout the next 27 months as a Health Promoter in Nicaragua.
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Tampons?
I forgot to blog about this yesterday but here is a story I thought was kinda funny. So the other night I was walking home from eating dinner and had my computer with me. A few of the girls that I went to the beach with had stopped me and asked me to show them pictures of liz’s wedding so I stopped and we talked for a while. We eventually somehow ended up on the topic of having periods and I said something about a tampon and they all stopped and stared at me. (Sidenote: tampons do not exist in Nicaragua they only have pads). They all asked me exactly what it was and how you use it and how weird that must be and can you feel it, does it hurt etc. so yesterday when two of the girls came to my house to see if I was going to the beach with them they came up and me and one of them, in a really shy manner, asked me if I could show them one. So of course I invited them in my room and we sat down and I took one out explained how it would be used, took it out of the applicator to show them what it looks like and how it expands and the string etc. It was so funny to see their expressions and they thought it was the coolest and weirdest thing ever. I thought it was a great cultural moment with the girls and it was a funny conversation. I enjoyed it J
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is SO funny. Totally reminds me of Jesi Patenaude showing me how to use them when we were in 8th or 9th grade!! haha
ReplyDeleteGreat blog today. Who would have thought that they didn't know about tampons? The things we take for granted, eh?
ReplyDeletethat's great Kim...can't imagine being down there and NOT having them, especially when showering is not as frequent! ewwwww lol
ReplyDelete