Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Amigos y Futbol

Friends and soccer! So things here are starting to feel better. It is starting to feel more like home. Now only if I could have my own place. Peace Corps changed the rules that we have to live with a family in our community for 6 months instead of only 2 because of the war that is going on just north of us in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras. They are concerned things may move farther south which I am sure is inevitable so they are taking the precaution of making us stay with the family which in turn offers us more protection and allows us to be more integrated into the community. I am pretty bummed out because I would love my own space. I am used to being on my own for the most part and would like to have that here. I don’t mind where I live; the family is nice but to not wake up at 5am to screaming, whining 5 year old just sounds better to me.
It is proving hard to make any good female friends here. Most of the girls my age are home with kids and a family, running a home and taking care of things there. I have some younger girls that I am friendly with in town but they are all still in high school and are about 10 years younger than me so it’s hard to relate with anything. I have made some good guys friends here. They are normal (not the obnoxious drunk types that say stupid things to me in the street) and like to talk to me about the states, learn some English phrases, teach me Spanish ones, go swimming in the lake or out for a beer and just generally get to know me. They are normal and I am enjoying hanging out with them and practicing my Spanish. They are all on a soccer team and asked me if I wanted my own uniform. I thought it was nice they offered and now have my own uniform with my nickname on the back. My nickname is Crucita which means little cross. My birthday happens to fall on a religious day – dia de la cruz or day of the cross. So I acquired the nickname. They wanted me to be part of the team but I don’t play so I said I will give them charlas in the future after games but it pours everyday making it hard to bring my papers with me outside to the field… but we will work on that one. Little by little things are getting better, I think once my Spanish improves more and work picks up more I will feel better. I just don’t like feeling useless at the moment. I still have days or just moments where I miss home and the family but I am lucky to have skype to talk to everyone and facebook and my cell phone! I know in the past that would not be the case so I consider myself lucky. I definitely miss food from the states but I am sure I will get my fix when I come home in November... at least for a little bit.
I have lots of pictures but most are on my phone. It is really slow to try and post them with the internet signal I have here but I will try to post most of them on facebook. I also have a ton on my phone with no way to transfer them yet. I am working on that and will post a bunch as soon as I can!!

1 comment:

  1. I know you want your own space but I am very glad that you are living with a family!! Especially for safety! And get used to the 5 a.m. toddler if you plan to have children. Thankfully Logan sleeps till 630. Maybe you should invest in some room darkening shades for the 5-year old? hahahaha.

    Make sure you wear your soccer jersey home in November. I want to see it!!! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete