The rains here pose a threat to many communities because of flooding. My community could potentially have serious flood problems because we are right on the lake. I am confused on if this is a potential problem for us this year because some say that the water level in the lake is really low and we should not have a problem. Yet they moved the montas (rodeos essentially) to a different location because there was not enough space on the beach this year, which would lead me to believe the water levels are high thus leaving the beach smaller. Not too sure on this one. The rains tend to flood certain areas everyday making some roads hard to travel. I go to the communities with the health center to give charlas and the roads there are all dirt and rock. The rains are making them harder to travel. Thankfully I have a rain coat and an umbrella and thinking about investing in rain boots soon! I also think I am going to rewrite the Peace Corps packing list for future volunteers lol.
This is my blog of my journey throughout the next 27 months as a Health Promoter in Nicaragua.
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Bienvenidos Rainy Season
So May marks the beginning of the rainy season here and boyyy does it rain! I am used to the rainy season living in Florida and all but this puts our rainy season to shame! It has been raining everyday here lately with the occasional thunderstorm but when it rain it pours! Rainy season has its positives and negatives. It is great to take a nap before dinner when it is pouring and I enjoy thunderstorms. It is also beautiful here now that everything is green again. When I first got here is was the end of dry season so everything was dead... like fall for us in the states. Now it is gorgeous and I need to take some pictures of the countryside surrounding my town. Negatives, I have holes in my room in my room and the rains have since soaked a part of my bed and my pillows still smell musty (gross!). I had to move my bed over a few feet to prevent further flooding. I also have a beautiful bright green mold growing on my favorite sneakers and sandals.. if anyone has any ideas on how to rid my things of the green nastiness please let me know.. I am not ready to part with these shoes L
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think vinegar works on getting rid of mold. At least I know you can use it as a disinfectant. When you come home, buy some Wellies for your feet. They'll keep you dry. It's a very good idea to rewrite the PC packing list for future volunteers.
ReplyDeleteDo you have bleach? That's what we use on mold.
ReplyDelete