This is my blog of my journey throughout the next 27 months as a Health Promoter in Nicaragua.
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
FIESTAS!
Shortly after I arrived was Semana Santa. This is holy week which is essentially a week to drink and have fun… mostly for the men. Most women use it as a time to clean, catch up on household chores and cook food to sell. I spent the week in the chinamo helping sell food, beer and playing cards with the men in the community. I met a lot of people although I am pretty certain many don’t remember me as they were quite drunk. Nevertheless it was a good time. In May we had the fiestas patronales which are a time to celebrate the patron saint that each town has. I loved the fiestas because there were montas everyday which made me feel right at home thinking about growing up in New York and fiestas every night. Montas are kind of like rodeos except they really only do bull riding. It is quite different from the states because anyone that wants to ride can. I had MANY people ask me if I was going to ride because and old volunteer a few years ago rode a bull during the fiestas… I politely responded that I choose to live thanks. The bulls are not as big or “bravo” (mean/rowdy) as they are in the states but I prefer to watch. I typically sat on the fencing with my friends so I was right up front. This was great because I got to talk to my friends and be up close to the “action” however it was not so good because I got kicked by a bull and had a lovely bruise on my leg. No worries nothing fatal, no need to amputate or anything. Wasn’t a full blown kick more like side swiping. The parties at night were a lot of fun! They had a DJ and lots of people went to kick back and relax, drink, dance and have a good time. I went with some friends and started learning some dances. I am learning all sorts of dances bachata, salsa, merengue and others. So far it’s going okay a few more parties and I’ll have them all down. There was also a party for mothers day. Mothers day is always May 30th here and Fathers day is this Thursday June 23rd. There will be fiestas this Thursday-Sunday so I am looking forward to that! I will be leaving July 3rd to go to Managua for a week for more Spanish training. When I come back there is another fiesta in mid July. It is a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people in the community because everyone goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank God you didn't ride a bull!! That is pretty funny though! It sounds like you're having a better time and making some friends. Maybe you can teach me to salsa some day!
ReplyDeleteCrap - I just realized I didn't send Dad a Father's Day card this year! Ay yi yi